The Sarnia & District Humane Society acts as the “pound” for the City of Sarnia & most of Lambton County, which means stray animals are brought into the shelter.
If You Have Lost Your Pet
Call us at 519-344-7064 to report your animal missing. We will let you know if a pet who matches your pet’s description was brought it, and if not, we will have your contact information if someone was to bring him/her in.
- We encourage cat owners to stop by the shelter and continue to look for your pet as the shelter takes in over 2000 cats per year. Ask your neighbours if they have seen your pet, and let them know to contact you if they do. Ask them to check their garages and sheds as well, many times frightened cats will seek refuge there.
- Posting flyers is still an effective way to get the word out in your area.
- The power of social media should be taken advantage of as well. Sarnia Lambton has a very active lost/found Facebook page.
- All strays who are brought to our shelters are held for four days before being assessed for our adoption program. You must come in during this period to reclaim your pet or you will lose all legal rights to claim him/her.
Did You Know?
- Renewing your license annually keeps your contact information and address up-to-date so your pet can be returned should they ever be lost.
- One hundred per cent of missing dogs that are found and have a license are returned to their homes.
- The majority of stray dogs found without a dog license are put up for adoption and are not returned to their families.
- Owners are required to have a dog license within 30 days of ownership.
- Any dog owner found owning an unlicensed dog can be fined $180 or more.
If You Have Found A Pet
Look for any identification tags on the animal. If no owner information is found, contact us at 519-344-7064 to report the animal.
- If the animal found is a cat/dog, you have the option to bring him/her to us at 131 Exmouth Street, Sarnia or call your Municipal Animal Control to have the animal picked up.
- All strays who are brought to our shelters are held for four days before being assessed for our adoption program.
How To Reclaim Your Pet
To reclaim your pet, you must bring identification with your address on it as well as proof of ownership. This can include a recent municipal tag, vet records, photos etc.
Please note that all dogs residing in Lambton County (with the exception of Lambton Shores) must wear a current municipal tag. If the dog being reclaimed does not have such tag, a tag must be purchased before the animal can be released.
Stray Claim Fees
- First Day Care (may include vaccines) $30
- Each Day that follows $20
- If dog requires Rabies for Claim additional $75
- First Day Care (may include vaccines) $20
- Each Day that follows $10